- On February 15, 2019
On Wednesday, the Government put forward a proposal to shake-up the Tertiary Education system, ensuring that vocational learning delivered in this country is done in a way which supports the needs of industries.
Our CEO Richard Moxon has put together a helpful summary that helps highlight the key parts of the proposal.
We believe this bodes really well for NZ businesses. The Learning Wave has been working closely with NZ businesses for the past 13 years, helping organisations and their people perform better. Our focus has always been on ensuring that the learning is relevant to our clients’ workplace, and this proposal looks to support that methodology. In our experience this approach ultimately leads to people and organisations performing better – which in turn will lead to a stronger NZ Inc.
In our words, here is a quick summary for you highlighting the three key parts of the proposal:
- Redefining roles of Industry Training Organisations (ITO’s) and Polytech’s – The proposal is to give industry and employers a leadership role to identify and address future skill needs with a voice directly to TEC to influence funding decisions
- Create a New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology – This will essentially create a centralised, and flatter structure which leads to consolidation, consistency, but also more resources going into the front line of delivery in the workplace.
- A unified vocational education funding system – The vision is to drive collaboration and flexibility supporting more work-based and integrated learning. Vocational education providers (like us) would be able to offer a complete “workforce development service” to employers, from pre-employment training through to professional development, supported by a mix of Government and private funding.
If you would like to dig deeper, then here are some links you may find helpful:
- The Cabinet paper: https://conversation.education.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/28-2019-01-28-Cabinet-Paper-Consulting-on-Proposals-for-Vocational-Education-System-Reform-plus-annexes-1-4.pdf
- Fact sheets: https://conversation.education.govt.nz/conversations/reform-of-vocational-education/have-your-say
- The consultation documents: https://conversation.education.govt.nz/conversations/reform-of-vocational-education/have-your-say
- Proactive release of decision making documents and advice: https://conversation.education.govt.nz/conversations/reform-of-vocational-education/about-the-reform-of-vocational-education/background-papers
The team and I are working closely with our Government and industry contacts to understand the proposal in more detail. We’ll update you with progress along the way to ensure you are well informed for any future decisions regarding your workplace learning.
If you have any questions in the meantime, please get in touch.
Chief Executive Officer – The Learning Wave Ltd